THE BRIDESMAIDS – these are the girls who have given it all up, through good times and bad. The ones who will be the support services for the Bride on her wedding day.
Becoming a fantastic Bridesmaid takes more than a just pretty dress. It takes the term friendship to an all new level with skill and savoir faire.
n order for you to get comfortable in your new role as the Bridesmaid, we have creative ideas for bridal showers and bachelorette parties, as well as tips for giving the Bride the support she deserves.
Being a Bridesmaid is about finding creative ways to celebrate your friendship – I’ll drink to that!
Are you ready to accept the responsibilities of a Bridesmaid?
It is a great honor to be asked to be a bridesmaid and one that should not be taken lightly. Before you accept the role of a bridesmaid, be honest with yourself, am I able to fulfill these obligations and can I afford it?
Who pays for what is a gray area that should be clarified right from the start, with no surprises, this is the one area that causes the most hard feelings, if you value your friendship, be very clear about the expectations!
What the Bride will expect from the Bridesmaids;
- The Bridesmaids are a collection of the most important women in the Brides life. You do not have to like them all, but you do have to get along. Leave all pettiness at home, be gracious – even if it kills you.
- The Bridesmaids will accompany the bride when she goes shopping for her dress, if the wedding party is large, only the Maid of Honor should accompany the Bride, too many opinions make it difficult for everyone.
- The Bride and the Bridesmaids will choose the bridesmaids dresses, accessories, shoes and jewelry. This may be a time consuming and expensive shopping trip. Who pays for what will be a big question, each situation is unique. Be sure that everyone is aware of the expectations before committing.
- Hair and make up expenses are usually paid by the Bridesmaids, if the Bride wants everyone to be made up together, then the Bride should cover part or all of the costs.
- Help address the invitations.
- Assist in creating the wedding favors.
- The Maid of Honor with the Bridesmaids will plan a bridal shower and a bachelorette party.
- Help to spread the word about where the couple are registered, this is not mentioned in the wedding invitation – ever.
- Help coordinate the out of town guests, arrange transportation and accommodation, and prepare a welcome basket for the out of towners.
- Collect the gifts and envelopes at the reception and make sure they are safe.
- Help direct guests to their seats, making them feel comfortable and generally overseeing the reception.
- They will need to be trusted friends, and good listeners, carry lots of tissue and do some hand holding.
- They will make sure you have something to eat, get plenty of rest, and take over where Mom left off.
What the Bridesmaids should expect from the Bride;
- The Bridesmaids will need to be kept up-to-date on all the wedding day plans.
- A checklist of what will be required of them is a good idea, and a great way to clarify every ones expectations.
- Kindness – not only will this be trying on every ones patience, but it will be hard on the pocket book too. Be nice and try to be accommodating!